Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Little Bit of the History of Punk Rock

I completely missed the punk rock scene, though of course, though I heard the stuff that made it to radio (The Talking Heads and Blondie). To put this in time perspective, I graduated from college in 1977. America was still bummed out from the Vietnam War, Civil Rights, drugs, the assassinations, Watergate, and a few other things. I was still listening to The Band, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Credence Clearwater Revival, Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Emerson Lake and Palmer; Steppenwolf, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Springsteen, and the rest of classic rock.

But punk was not my style, and most punk stunk! However, there were exceptions, like The Clash. I was also a fan of Patti Smith. I had bought her very first album Horses (1975) when it came out. She is also the co-author of the song, “Because the Night,” with Bruce Springsteen. The Rock and Roll era ended with the last Clash album, in 1986. Check out some of their songs: London Calling, The Magnificent Seven, This is Radio Clash, Straight to Hell, Armigideon Time, London's Burning.

1 Comments:

Blogger tony said...

Thanks For The Visit&Comment.
By The Way
My Main Blog Is at
everton.blogspot.com
Regards From Tony.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home