Saturday, January 29, 2005

Time Out of Mind - Bob Dylan, 1997

There must be other musicians who have listened to such a broad spectrum of American music as Bob Dylan has, but I don't think there is anyone who has absorbed and adapted as much of it into his own style as he. Indeed, I don't feel I appreciated the distinctness of some of the sounds from the American taproot, until I heard them in Bob Dylan's music. And that, my friends, is the mark of an artist.

In Time Out of Mind, Bob Dylan has used some sound styles from the 1950's. The recording was produced by the same person who produced Oh Mercy, but I lik ethe latter better. One critic has noted that the one constant throughout Bob Dylan's career has been his love songs, and most of the songs on Time Out of Mind are love songs. And on this recording, they one thing they all have in common is the theme of love gone sour.

Of the eleven tunes, Love Sick is the pick of the litter. In mood, message, and sound, the monotonically dark Love Sick is pure Screaming Jay Hawkins, just not quite as severe in the vocals. If you've ever heard the latter (I Put A Spell on Me), you might appreciate this one. I do. I'm not sure that Screaming Jay Hawkins' style has been played with much, by later artists.

Dirt Road Blues is a solid rockabilly number. Million Miles has an understated but crisp jazzy drum beat, some jazz guitar strums and organ that give it an interesting backdrop. Standing in the Doorway is a little reminiscent of Ring Them Bells on Oh Mercy, but sadder.

I'd like to thank Brian Banho for loaning me the CD to listen to.

Time Out of Mind songlist:

1. Love Sick
2. Dirt Road Blues
3. Standing in the Doorway
4. Million Miles
5. Tryin' to get to Heaven
6. 'Till I Fell In Love With You
7. Not Dark Yet
8. Cold Irons Bound
9. Make You Feel My Love
10. Can't Wait
11. Highlands

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home